Tuesday, April 21, 2009

WWI Viewpoints




I am an 18 year old operator stationed on the front lines of the battlefield. When the war began, I only had a vague idea of my likely duties because the Wireless Section had only just started being used in the trenches. When our guide led me into a trench filled waist deep with muddy water, I could not believe he was serious - I was wearing my brand-new riding-breeches and boots. However, I went in, and it was seventeen days before my boots touched dry soil again. My job was to set up stations so that we could transmit any messages handed in by the officers. I was excited to do something useful, but I quickly became tired of the trenches and the battlefield. Every day that goes by, the stench worsens and so does the fatigue. I entered the war with excitement and determination, but my fellow soldiers and I are growing tired of this war.

No comments: